The Snow Moon in February - Mini Moon Rituals
The Snow Moon/Hunger Moon is the name given to the Full Moon in February. It's a harsh and bleak time before the Spring.
I began using the colder days here in the North of England where I currently live, to create little Moon magic rituals and activities to bring back a little optimism and focus, especially on the dark, colder days.
SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is a condition where people suffer with seasonal depression due to low light levels. I realise that during these times, I need to make the extra effort to invite in a little bit of magic into my daily routine.
Thoughtful and gentle mini Moon rituals that aren't too heavy and specific, can become a beautiful addition to your magical practice.
For example when the months are colder, you may feel more inclined to do more homely indoor activities, that's why I regularly bake a cake on the Full Moon. In the summer months, I may make floral cookies, fresh juice or mint tea from my garden.
Intention is everything when it comes to rituals (I don't do spell work). When your love is put into an activity the food just tastes better, that's why I loved my grandmothers food- it was always so delicious.
The lunar cycle creates a rhythm to the month, that's why planning activities around the moon has been adopted for thousands of years. The lunar month of 28 days represents the female menstrual cycle and the phases of the Moon represent the spiritual growth of the male.
5 Snow Moon Rituals you can do at home:
- Snow/frost magic is really helpful at this time. You can wrap a note with something you want to manifest around a quartz crystal and place it in a jar outside under the Full Moon. Wait until the snow has fully thawed and it is thought that this is when your wish will come true.
- Make a Full Moon inspired cake, stir mixture clockwise when making your cake to encourage positivity and good luck.
- The Full Moon is a time of balance, it's a time to focus on the 'harvest'. Pay attention to all the things you've manifested so far and all that's yet to manifest. A Full Moon bath is perfect to focus on abundance and a time to relax. Typically adding rose petals or flowers to the water is a great way to do this, plus it just looks beautiful. Fill your bathroom with white candles to match the colour of mama Moon.
- Write a list of all the things you're worried about people you'd like to forgive, burn them and release them (this can continue as a ritual as the Moon wanes)
- Super charge your crystals under the Moon. Place on your window sill. Crystals are mysterious and are considered beings in the native cultures.